An impressive faubourg
The old Faubourg Québec, home to many workshops and much larger than the Faubourg Saint-Louis, spanned the road leading to Québec City, on the eastern side of the fortifications. John Molson built a brewery here in 1786.
In 1852, a terrible fire destroyed much of the Québec, Saint-Louis and Saint-Laurent faubourgs, all built of wood. As a result, a by-law was introduced to require that all Montréal buildings henceforward be made with stone or brick, as had been done (stone only) within the city walls following the great fire of 1721.
The rebuilt area was later transformed by railway yards.
The "new" Faubourg Québec, a huge residential project, is bringing new life to this area.