|A former hill and military remains
Near the St. Lawrence River, in the days of New France, the Canoterie Royale(or the King's boat-sheds) was where boats were built and maintained, particularly for military uses. When the British arrived, they converted the buildings into a military complex, including barracks, a guardroom and storehouses. All this later disappeared when the railway came through.
A hill, levelled in 1819, once marked the edge of the fortified town. At the time, Rue Notre-Dame ended at Bonsecours, and Saint-Paul (below) ran as far as the Québec gate.