HomeSite mapContact-us
Place Jacques-Cartier

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars

... the New Marketplace,
and a public square

The New Marketplace...
The Château came down and the New Marketplace went up. Covered wooden stalls sprang up in the centre, surrounded by stone buildings housing inns, stores and workshops.

artist unknown
View from the main city guardhouse (1845), artist unknown; the market stalls are visible behind the Nelson Column.


An Amerindian trail, then a "castle"...

After 1850...

Place Jacques-Cartier


... and, lastly, a public square
When the Bonsecours Market opened for business in 1847, the "old" New Marketplace was demolished and turned into Place Jacques-Cartier. Market gardeners and craftspeople continued to offer their wares as an outdoor extension of the New Marketplace, however.

Building on the northeast corner Immeuble à l'angle nord-ouest
Built during the same period, these houses mark changes in architectural styles after 1800, notably the use of cut stone façades.

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated: September 2001