|The Château Ramezay
The Château Ramezay - Historic Site and Museum of Montréal,
The Château Ramezay was one of the first buildings in Québec to be declared a historic monument. It is named for Claude de Ramezay, Governor of Montréal, who had it built as his home in 1705. The Château was later sold to the Compagnie des Indes, which held a monopoly on fur exports, and was remodelled and expanded in 1756, partly on its original foundations. The building served as a Governor's residence again and later as a military headquarters and courthouse, and finally was turned into a museum in 1895. A turret, added in 1903, makes it look even more like a castle, a name derived from its delightful architecture, typical of a hotel particulier in the days of the fortified city.