HomeSite mapContact-us
Rue Notre-Dame East

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars


La rue Notre-Dame en 1930
Rue Notre-Dame in 1830, as seen by Robert A. Sproule. In the foreground, the Nelson Column.



The Vauquelin and Nelson monuments face each other, just as the French and English colonial forces did in days gone by. The column was erected in 1809, making it the oldest commemorative monument in Canada, to mark Lord Nelson's victory over Napoleon's Franco-Spanish fleet at Trafalgar, four years earlier. Since 1930, Jean Vauquelin, defender of Louisbourg and Québec City in the final days of the French Régime, has been keeping a close eye on the British Admiral.

Monument Vauquelin

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated: September 2001