|Business and stone
The British Empire building, on the corner of Rue Notre-Dame, was known as the Exchange Bank of Canada when it was built in 1874.
The first headquarters of the Sun Life Insurance Company comprises one section built in 1884, of brick and stone, and another in 1891, of soft beige sandstone from England. Polychromy and sculpted decorative motifs were then much in vogue. The sculptures on the newer section were the work of Henry Beaumont, a British-born sculptor who was responsible for many of the finest ornamental carvings on Montréal buildings of the time.
Rue Saint-Sacrement: after the Corn Exchange, in 1865, and the Merchants' Exchange, in 1866, the Board of Trade building went up in 1903 to house the offices of the organization.
In 1904, Montréal opened its new
Stock Exchange. The building has been home to the Centaur Theatre
Down to the water
Around Rue de l'Hôpital