HomeSite mapContact-us
Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars
Designed by architect Dan S. Hanganu and built in 1992, the "Éperon" building is reminiscent of the Victorian structure that formerly stood on this spot, the Royal Insurance Company Building, shown here in a photograph by A. Henderson, circa 1870 (detail). Hanganu has won several prestigious architectural awards for this remarkable contemporary integration of old and new. The lookout offers a superb view. 

The main entrance of the Museum rises above the point of land where Paul de Chomedey, Sieur de Maisonneuve, Jeanne Mance and other French settlers landed in 1642. Here, on this spot between the St. Lawrence and the Little St. Pierre River (now channelled underground), this small group raised the Ville-Marie fort, the first buildings of Montréal. The remains of the cemetery established near the fort can still be seen in the Museum.




Here you are at the very birthplace of Montréal, where Pointe-à-Callière, the Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History, opened in 1992 to protect and display the remains of the colony's early days.  



Detailed neighbourhood map

The old Custom House 

Place Royale and the Amerindian

Place de la Grande-Paix

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated:
September 2001