HomeSite mapContact-us
Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars
The old Custom House 

The old Custom House 
The old Custom House, new in 1836, houses exhibitions and the Museum's gift shop. 

The old Custom House (now part of Pointe-à-Callière, the Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History) was built in 1836, to keep pace with the expanding Port. Goods could pass through customs here in Montréal rather than having to stop off in Québec City. This was the first building designed in Montréal by John Ostell, an architect from Britain who would go on to put his name to at least 25 major buildings in the city, including the Old Courthouse.


On Rue Saint-Paul, across from the old Custom House, the jaunty Victorian façade of the Frothingham & Workman wholesale hardware store, erected in 1871, contrasts with the severity of neighbouring stores dating from the 1830s and 1840s. 


Place Royale and the Amerindian

Place de la Grande-Paix

Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated:
September 2001