HomeSite mapContact-us
Place d’Youville

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars
In the midst of a metropolis 

Rue McGill

The width of Rue McGill at the western end of Place d'Youville can be traced back to the Commissioners' early 19th-century plan: when the fortifications were demolished, a vast passage was opened between the old town and the Faubourg des Récollets and would become one of Montréal's most prestigious streets.

The headquarters of the Grand Trunk Railway Company (1900)
and the ten-storey skyscraper belonging to Canadian Express (1907), its subsidiary, were indicative of the optimism reigning at the dawn of the 20th century. The Grand Trunk, already proud of its Victoria Bridge, was preparing to build a transcontinental railway line. It's definitely worth looking inside, if the building is open (today it houses government departments). The majolica bas-reliefs in the vestibule (glazed earthenware typical of the Italian Renaissance) and its open staircase won it plaudits as one of the most beautiful lobbies in Canada.

A new Custom House, with its fine colonnades, was opened in 1915 and expanded 20 years later, confirming Montréal's status as the gateway to the nation. 

Majolica bas-reliefs

Centre d’histoire de Montréal 

18th-century hospital,
19th-century businesses

Warehouses from the 1820s 

From 1844 to 1849,
home to Canada’s Parliament!

Place d’Youville

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated: April 2002