HomeSite mapContact-us
Place d’Youville


Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars
From 1844 to 1849, home to Canada's Parliament!

Between 1844 and 1849, the Canadian Parliament sat in Sainte-Anne's Market, formerly located on the site of the parking lot across from the Centre d'histoire de Montréal. The marketplace was linked to the collector sewer, for waste disposal, and served the western part of the old town as well as the adjacent Sainte-Anne district, where many Irish immigrants settled. After Tory rioters burned down the Parliament building in 1849, the seat
of government alternated between
Toronto (Ontario) and Quebec before being permanently installed in Ottawa.

Centre d'histoire de Montréal

18th-century hospital,
19th-century businesses

Warehouses from the 1820s

In the midst of a metropolis

Place d'Youville

The burning of Parliament in 1849

After it was rebuilt, the market was levelled by another fireóan accidental one this time. A square was built on the site in 1902 and it was finally given over to automobiles in the 1920s.
And soon it will be a square again.

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated:
April 2005