A beautiful house in the fortified town
The Pierre du Calvet house, built in 1770 and nicely restored in 1966, is an impressive sight. But in the 18th-century fortified town, the customers of the owner, a Huguenot merchant and supporter of the American Revolution, probably saw nothing unusual about the building. With its steeply pitched roof, its fieldstone walls secured with "S"-shaped iron bars and its casement windows, it was typical of the period. Note the end walls, which extend above the line of the roof as firebreaks. This type of construction became mandatory after the great fire of 1721.