|A long history
The first large church in the colony of Ville-Marie was built along Rue Notre-Dame. As early as the 1720s, people would come to watch military manoeuvres on the "Place d'Armes" next door. The square was laid out after the church was replaced by a new basilica.
Place d'Armes as seen by R. A. Sproule in 1828, before the old church was torn down.
The monument to Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve, the founder of Montréal along with Jeanne Mance, has graced the centre of Place d'Armes since 1895. The work by Louis-Philippe Hébert includes several bronze figures commemorating the Ville-Marie period.