HomeSite mapContact-us
Rue Notre-Dame East

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars

Three courthouses

An exceptional trio: three courthouses from different periods straddle the street.
The "Old Courthouse"

The "Old Courthouse", inaugurated in 1856, is a good example of neo-classical architecture. Work on its dome started in 1890. One floor has also been added.



Montréal City Hall

The Château Ramezay

Rue Notre-Dame East



The "New Courthouse"

Construction of the "New Courthouse" started in 1922. This is an example of a return to a classical style, with its long colonnade. Criminal cases were transferred to the new facilities, while civil justice continued to be meted out in the Old Courthouse. (See also section 20)


Since 1971, all legal business has been conducted in the modern facilities, including civil marriages. But the balcony of the Old Courthouse remains the preferred spot for wedding photos!

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated: September 2001