HomeSite mapContact-us
The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Basilica

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars
Old Seminary


Notre-Dame Basilica

The Seminary, Montréal’s oldest building


In 17th-century France, influential backers lent their support to Jérôme Le Royer de la Dauversière's goal of founding a Catholic mission on the Island of Montréal, explored by Jacques Cartier as far back as 1535.

Fifteen years after Maisonneuve and his companions founded Ville-Marie, the Saint-Sulpice Seminary, founded in Paris by one of the promoters of the Montréal mission, sent priests to take charge of the new parish. In 1663, the Sulpicians became the seigneurs of Montréal. Although the seigniorial regime disappeared long ago, the Sulpician community is still responsible for the mother parish.

(See also section 16)

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated: September 2001