HomeSite mapContact-us
Place d’Armes

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars
Skyscrapers since 1888 

The entire history of Montréal skyscrapers is laid out around the place. 

Clock tower
1888. The New York Life building, with its eight storeys served by an elevator and its clock tower, was Montréal's first skyscraper. 

It deserves a closer look, if only to admire the skill of sculptor Henry Beaumont. 


1911 and 1912. The Royal Trust and Duluth buildings represented a new generation of skyscrapers in Montréal. Thanks to its steel structure, the Duluth building reached the dizzying height of ten floors, the limit under Montréal by-laws until the 1920s. The stone-clad building recalls the three sections of a classical column, just like the Royal Trust building, with its base, shaft (repetitive intermediate floors) and capital.

Duluth building

Aldred building

1929. The Aldred building, with its setbacks designed to ensure natural lighting for the streets below, is an eloquent example of the Art Deco style. The setbacks were required under a new Montréal by-law, inspired by a similar requirement in New York. 

1967. The Banque canadienne nationale tower (today the National Bank of Canada) introduced the international post-war style; it is almost the sole example of the style in Old Montréal. 

A long history 

People and emotions since the beginning 

Place d’Armes

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated: September 2001