HomeSite mapContact-us
Rue Saint-Jacques

Tour route Next section Previous section Back to Notre-Dame Est Boulevard Saint-Laurent Rue Notre-Dame West The Old Seminary and Notre-Dame Place d’Armes Rue Saint-Jacques Des Récollets Around Rue de l’Hôpital Rue Saint-Paul, near Place d’Youville Place d’Youville Western end of the Old Port Pointe-à-Callière and Place Royale Saint-Paul and de la Commune From Saint-Amable to Saint-Gabriel Place Jacques-Cartier Eastern end of the Old Bonsecours From Bonsecours to Berri Rue Notre-Dame East Champ-de-Mars
Little St. James Street 

Little St. James Street,
east of Place d'Armes, still has two buildings that were once home to French-Canadian (today we would say "Quebec") financial institutions. In 1908, the National Bank of Canada took over and added to a building (No. 59) originally erected in 1870 for the Scottish Life Insurance company. Then, in 1926, it transferred the building to the La Prévoyance insurance company.

Scottish Life

Banque du Peuple

The Banque du Peuple, for its part, located its head office in the neighbouring building (No. 55), that first went up in 1873 and was added to in 1894. Thus there was a modest but complete network of financial companies under French-Canadian control, whose growth was reflected in the tower of the National Bank of Canada, built in 1965-1967 in Place d'Armes.

The Bank of Montreal 

Competing for prestige 

Splendid sculptures 

The World Trade Centre 

Rue Saint-Jacques 

Top of page

| Home | Site map | Contact us |

Old Montréal

Credits. All rights reserved, 1998-2001.
Last updated: September 2001